report a worthless check


The Mt. Horeb Police Department actively investigates worthless check violations as well as checks knowingly issued from closed accounts.

We recommend that businesses also seek their own method of monetary recovery and contact 

a collection agency to recoup their losses if they receive worthless checks.

When turning in a worthless check to the MHPD, the following items should be included:

  • a completed Worthless Check Information Sheet (click on downloadable form below)
  • a copy of the letter that was initially sent to the check writer
  • a copy of the worthless check.

Note: On the Worthless Check Information form, it is extremely important that a suspect's driver's license number is included.

 Please print the Worthless Check form, complete it, and forward the form and 

the above-mentioned documents to the

Mt. Horeb Police Department

400 Blue Mounds Street

Mt. Horeb, WI 53572

This documentation allows us to keep an archival record of all worthless checks issued in the Village of Mt. Horeb,

as well as follow up on cases at later dates that reach the level of a felony.

Any questions can be directed to 

Officer Jon Orcutt, 608-437-5522, extension 1120,

or to administrative staff.