report a traffic accident


When does the law require a crash report?

* Injury of a person;

~ or ~

* Damage of $1,000 or more to any one person's vehicle or property;

~ or ~

*Damage of $200 or more to state or other government-owned property other than a vehicle

If you received a letter from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation stating you were involved in a reportable crash and requesting you to complete a report, you must complete a crash report.

How to report a crash:

1. Go to:

2. You need your driver license number, vehicle identification number (VIN) or social security number, and insurance information.

3. Follow the website instructions to complete your crash report.

To purchase a crash report

To purchase a crash report, go to: