State law allows the sale, possession and use, without a permit, of sparklers not exceeding 36 inches in length, stationary cones and fountains, toy snakes, smoke bombs, caps, noisemakers and confetti poppers with less than 1/4 grain explosive mixture. There is no age restriction on sale, possession or use of these devices and the statue does not classify them as fireworks. Local ordinances may be more restrictive than state statutes and may prohibit any of these items or limit their sale or use. These are the only kinds of "fireworks," as that word is commonly used, that a person may use or possess without a permit or that may be sold to a person who does not have a permit.

Possessing or using any other fireworks, including, for example, firecrackers, roman candles, bottle rockets and mortars, in Wisconsin without a valid permit is illegal. A commonly used rule of thumb is that a permit is required if the device explodes or leaves the ground. The sale of these restricted fireworks to a person without a valid permit is also illegal, unless the seller is a wholesaler or jobber selling fireworks to a nonresident for shipment out of state.

A person who possesses or uses fireworks without a valid permit, or who sells fireworks to a person who does not have a valid permit, is subject to a forfeiture of up to $1,000 per violation. Each firework illegally possessed, used or sold may be a separate violation.

A parent or guardian who allows a minor to possess or use fireworks (not including those for which no permits are required) is subject to a forfeiture of up to $1,000 per violation.

Enforcement rests with local law enforcement and district attorneys, or municipal prosecutors in the case of local ordinance violations.

Permits are issued by the Village Office located at 138 E. Main Street, Mt. Horeb, 608-437-6884.  Contact the Mt. Horeb Police Department at 608-437-5522 if this page does not answer your fireworks questions.